Australia is the sixth largest country in the world. It spreads over 7,682,300 sq km and it is an island continent. The country is lying between the Indian and Pacific oceans. Australia is around 4,000 km from east to west and 3,200 km from north to south, with a coastline 36,735 km long. Canberra is Australia's capital city. With a population of approximately 380,000 people and situated in the Australian Capital Territory, Canberra is roughly half way between the two largest cities Melbourne and Sydney.
The Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), Australian government’s national policy for regulated qualifications in the country’s education and training system, helps students to move through the education system. It also provides an easy route for countries around the world to recognise your qualification. Do you have a specific interest in subject to study? You will find it in the Australian universities. Australia has population of just 23 million. However, the country ranked third in the world after the UK and the US on the highest number of international students. Do you know that seven of the top 100 Universities in the world are in the Australia! With over 22,000 courses across 1,100 institutions, Australia sits above the countries such as Germany, the Netherlands, and the Japan. The Australian government provides over A$200 million every year for international scholarships. The country is also offers many consumer protection and support services to international students to make their study in Australia more safe and enjoyable. These include services provided directly by institutions and services provided by the state, territory, and federal government departments. The services include, Consumer Protection, Overseas Students Ombudsman and the Tuition Fee Protection Services
Student Visa Application Process
To study abroad in Australia, the international students have to prove to the Australian government’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) that you meet the Australian student visa parameters. They are
- Genuine Student
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)
- Financial Stability
- Proficiency in English Language
- Health and character
Before fulfilling all these parameters you need to complete an Australian student visa application form, pay the fee for visa application and you may have to attend an interview as well. Now will see what all these requirements are:
International students planning to study abroad in Australia has to be classed as a genuine student. For that you must show that you are keen to obtain a valid educational outcome and fulfilled the language, financial and educational requirements of the Australian visa authorities. When assessing, the visa officials will consider the students:
- Proficiency in English language
- Sufficient Finances
- Educational backgrounds
- Age Requirements
- Intention to comply with visa conditions
GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant)
The Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) screening will make sure that the visa applicant is able to demonstrate his/her genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily for the purpose of study (or to accompany a student as a dependent (i.e. spouse or child), or as a guardian). The Australian officials will consider the following factors.
- The circumstances in your home country
- The potential circumstances for you in Australia
- The value of your chosen course to your future
- Your immigration history
- Any other relevant matters
While submitting your visa application for study abroad in Australia you will need to provide evidence showing the other requirements such as:
- Financial requirements: You have to provide evidence of enough funds to cover your tuition and living cost.
- English proficiency requirement: The DIBP website lists eligible tests like the IELTS, TOEFL and iBT. Students must get the required points in any one of these tests to study in Australia.
- Health requirements: International students are required to take a medical and/or a radiological check-up to show they are in good health. All international students are obliged to purchase the Overseas Student Health Cover. You may purchase this cover through your university, or directly from an approved health service providers in the country. They are, Australian Health Management, Medibank Private, BUPA Australia, nib OSHC and Allianz Global Assistance. An approximate cost of OSHC is AUS$437 (US$300) for 12 months for a single student.
- Character requirements: A criminal record check is a must to obtain the Australian student visa. A Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) will make sure that you don’t have a substantial criminal record.
Multiculturalism is an announced policy of Australia since it is introduction in Australia in 1970s. The country values the importance of social sophistication and cultural diversity that international students bring to the campuses. The Australian government provides great care in looking after international students and helping them to adjust to the Australian way of life. The crime rate is comparatively low in Australia and a strict gun control law is in place. It provides a very safe environment for international students. People from over 200 countries have already migrated to Australia. This made the country a true culturally diverse country in the world. Australia has some of the world's most distinctive and diverse natural environments, with unique wildlife, and spectacular landscapes, including many national parks and world heritage areas. The country attracts millions of visitors each year. Popular tourist destinations like Sydney and Melbourne offer world-class sightseeing experiences to visitors, but there are many less popular travel destinations in Australia that are often underrated and overlooked.
Cost of Living for Students
The cost of living in Australia is highest among the world. However, the living expenses and the tuition cost in the country are low compared to the US or the UK. Students who are opting for a study abroad in Australia programms are required to show evidence that they are capable to contribute to the cost of studying and living in Australia. The Australian authorities want to make sure that the international students are able to make their studies well in the country with a safe living. Though, international students are allowed to work part-time and they can supplement the living cost in Australia with that income, the Australian government ensures that the students do not have to rely only on the part time work to meet their expenses. Students planning to study abroad in Australia must prove that the funds upon which they are relying will be genuinely available to them while they are in Australia.
Documents for University Admissions in Australia
- Completed Australian student visa application form (157A)
- Copy of paid visa application fee
- Copy of passport biodata page (some students may be asked to physically provide their passport)
- Certificate of Enrolment or Letter of Offer
- Evidence of sufficient funds
- Evidence of health insurance cover
- English proficiency test results
- Criminal record check results
- Four recent passport-sized photographs